Every definition. Free.
Goals of the New English Dictionary:
Steps toward these:
- Provide the definition of every common English word.
- Provide printable dictionaries free.
- Use advertisement revenue &/or other support to create, provide, and promote free learning materials.
- Create, maintain, inhabit, and interact with a contributor community.
- Make available dictionary definitions that have fallen into the public domain.
- Make those same definitions available in machine-readable, PDF, and possibly other form.
- Augment those definitions.
- Create a community of typists, editors, subject matter experts, sponsors, benefactors, and other contributors & supporters.
- Enable persons and organizations to annotate definitions; for example, flagging esoteric, core, or naughty words.
- Provide complete, ready-to-print dictionaries, tailored to persons and organizations based on their annotations.
- "Final content" will not embed advertisement, messages, or promotion. For example, a PDF image of a dictionary page or a definition will contain no ads.
- "Final content" may be accompanied by advertisement, messages, or promotion. For examples:
- A PDF file containing a definition might be embedded in an HTML page which contains ads, messages, or promotions.
- A dictionary might contain front and back matter referring to the New English Dictionary, or thanking sponsors/benefactors.